Making Connections - Kasuga Tsukaisute (Day 1 Morning)

Narrator

Making Connections - Kasuga Tsukaisute (Day 1 Morning)

Post by Narrator » Sat Oct 06, 2018 5:56 am

The Imperial Governor, Kitsu Motso, is holding court in the Palace, and many of the more important dignitaries are in attendance, including Lion officers, your Centipede "hosts", and dignitaries from various clans.

Perhaps you've decided to attend. But are you important enough to be admitted?

Challenge:
Heralds near the entrance are making certain that only persons of importance are admitted to the governor's court.

You may automatically join this event if you have any of:
- Social Position
- Imperial Marriage
- Darling of the Court
- Any Courtier school

Otherwise, you must make an AWA/Etiquette (Bureaucracy) TN15 roll to gain admittance to the governor's court. If you fail, you cannot join this event (but you may join a different event).

Focus:
You spend some time socializing with the other courtiers present. You may roll one of:

Conversation: AWA/Etiquette (Conversation) TN15
Performance: AWA/Perform (any) TN15
Flirt: AWA/Temptation TN15
Demonstrate knowledge: INT/Lore: Centipede or INT/Lore: Lion TN15
Give a gift: INT/Commerce or AWA/Etiquette TN15. If you are presenting a particularly splendid gift (costing you at least 1 koku and requiring an appropriately roleplayed presentation), you may add a static +2 bonus.

Kasuga Courtier 1 technique may be used on any of the social based rolls (i.e. not the INT rolls), but if used, Akane (the only heimin) is the only NPC you may connect to during Strike phase.

Strike:
You attempt to make connections with someone at court. Roll AWA/Courtier (Manipulation) TN15.
You gain 1 FR for each other player who succeeded at a Focus attempt different than the Focus roll that you attempted.
If you did not succeed at your Focus attempt, you must call 1 raise for no effect, to overcome the negative impression you made.
Remember that you cannot call raises or use free raises unless you are skilled.

Kasuga Courtier 1 technique may be used on this roll, but if used, Akane is the only NPC you may connect to.

Rewards:
If you succeed at the Strike roll, you earn 1xp and gain one of the following as an Ally:
- Akane, the village headwoman (1 influence, 1 devotion)
- Moshi Fuyumi, the shrine maiden (requires success with 1 raise; 1 influence, 1 devotion)
- Moshi Keiko, niece of the Centipede daimyo (requires success with 2 raises; 2 influence, 1 devotion)
- Ikoma Kado, advisor to the Lion governor (requires success with 3 raises; 2 influence, 1 devotion)
If multiple players succeed in the same event instance, they may choose to connect with different NPCs. After Strike phase is resolved, players may remain in the thread and converse for a time with the NPCs you connected with.

If you fail at the Strike roll, you earn 1xp but no ally. If you failed with raises, you embarrass yourself before the court, losing an additional -0.1 Glory for each raise.
Kasuga Tsukaisute

Re: Making Connections (Day 1 Morning)

Post by Kasuga Tsukaisute » Sun Oct 07, 2018 1:46 am

Kasuga Tsukaisute, dressed well and carrying a furled scroll, arrives at the court and presents his traveling papers. Seeing as he is a recognized student of the Kasuga's courtly school, he is admitted, and, knowing his courtesies, presents his gift to the court. After the customary offers and refusals, the scroll is revealed to be a painting done "by the most esteemed cousin of the Lord Kizoku, who represents the Throne in the administration or our humble Clan of the Tortoise, and we trust that it will be a reminder that even the humble serve in good faith."

A voice within him says How droll. Are you trying to put the Lion on edge? But the young man's lips say nothing.

The gift presented, he espies a cheerful-seeming maiden and approaches. After bows and introductions, the two strike up a conversation, and the Tortoise's winning ways soon convince her that he is a good sort of man to have around. "Moshi Fuyumi," he says, "it is a rare pleasure to meet you, and I look forward to seeing more of you in the coming days."

And he ensures that he is readily available for conversation with others. It will be a good day to make some new friends, he thinks.

Challenge: Passed automatically due to Courtier School
Focus: Present a Gift, Awareness/Etiquette, TN 15--passed with a 19
Strike: Connect to Fuyumi, TN 20 (15 + 5 for Raise)--passed with a 30
Gain 1 XP, Ally: Moshi Fuyumi (1/1)
Kasuga Tsukaisute
Tortoise Clan*Courtier
Glory 1.0, Status 1.0, Honor...not so much

"You know, I might know someone can help you with that..."

Italics are thoughts. Off-color italics are someone else's thoughts.
Narrator

Post by Narrator » Sun Oct 07, 2018 9:20 am

"The pleasure is mine, Kasuga-san," Moshi Fuyumi replied in a soft voice. "I hope that while you are visiting, you will enjoy our humble clan's hospitality -- such as it is." She made a self-depreciating gesture of her fan.
Kasuga Tsukaisute

Post by Kasuga Tsukaisute » Mon Oct 08, 2018 12:03 am

Narrator wrote:
Sun Oct 07, 2018 9:20 am
"The pleasure is mine, Kasuga-san," Moshi Fuyumi replied in a soft voice. "I hope that while you are visiting, you will enjoy our humble clan's hospitality -- such as it is." She made a self-depreciating gesture of her fan.
Tsukaisute smiles and gives a dip of his head.

"I've found no cause for complaint, Moshi-miko. And, as I am new to this place, I wonder if I might prevail upon the knowledge of a local. I'd love to get to know this place; where would I begin, were you me?"

The voice within him says Great. She's going to think you're trying to get inside her robes. But the young man's lips say nothing of the sort as he awaits the maiden's answer.
Kasuga Tsukaisute
Tortoise Clan*Courtier

Narrator

Re: Making Connections - Kasuga Tsukaisute (Day 1 Morning)

Post by Narrator » Mon Oct 08, 2018 1:24 am

“There are many shrines to Amaterasu throughout the province,” the priestess replied piously. “Even I can’t say that I’ve visited them all. Certainly, one could do worse than to pay respects to the Sun Goddess.”

“The gardens have seen better days, I’m afraid,” Fuyumi continued with a rueful smile. “But the mountain slopes and wild places of the Valley are very beautiful. Sadly, my position here rarely affords me the chance to leave the Palace, but from certain places, one can find a splendid view of the snow-covered peak of Yama sano Amaterasu. And to the east, there is a cliff that overlooks the sea, where one can sometimes glimpse fishermen bringing in the day’s catch.”

“What sorts of things did Kasuga-san hope to see?” she inquired politely.
Kasuga Tsukaisute

Post by Kasuga Tsukaisute » Mon Oct 08, 2018 10:15 am

"Well, Moshi-miko, if it is from the work of our bellies that our bodies draw life, then it is in what feeds those bellies that a province draws life. But if it is sad that your duties do not often allow you to leave the premises, well, surely showing a guest about might be part of your duties--and allow you to see some things you'd like to see, as well."

He smiles.

"And, after all, a priestess could do much to rein in a wayward Tortoise, bringing him around to a better way, neh?"
Kasuga Tsukaisute
Tortoise Clan*Courtier

Narrator

Post by Narrator » Tue Oct 09, 2018 3:41 am

"I would not dream of speaking ill of the noble Tortoise -- 'wayward' or not," Fuyumi replied with a hint of a smile. "But perhaps my duties might permit me to show one of our honored guests around Kyuden Moshi no Machi."

"I shall have to speak with the guards to make arrangements," Fuyumi mused. "I'm afraid they are rather, ahh, protective of our security here. But I think I could persuade them that showing courtesy to our guests would be worthwhile. Perhaps tomorrow, if would be convenient for Kasuga-san?"
Kasuga Tsukaisute

Post by Kasuga Tsukaisute » Tue Oct 09, 2018 4:07 am

Tsukaisute bows with a flourish and a smile.

"Morning, afternoon, evening, or night, I am at your disposal."
Kasuga Tsukaisute
Tortoise Clan*Courtier

Narrator

Post by Narrator » Tue Oct 09, 2018 4:37 am

"Such a bold declaration, Kasuga-san!" Fuyumi said, raising her fan slightly to cover a small smile. "Be careful, or I shall take you at your word."

"Until tomorrow, then," the shrine maiden suggested, bowing slightly as she prepared to take her leave.
Kasuga Tsukaisute

Post by Kasuga Tsukaisute » Tue Oct 09, 2018 7:00 pm

"My dear Moshi-miko, I'd have it no other way!"

He bows in return.

"But I'll not keep you; I know that duties demand."
Kasuga Tsukaisute
Tortoise Clan*Courtier